How to Keep your Local Economy Afloat during the Pandemic
- 23,981 Restaurants are out of business
- 27,663 Retail Stores are closed forever
- 15,384 Salons and spas are permanently closed
- 5,589 Fitness Centers and gyms will never open again
But Our Town America of The Triangle franchise owner Sally Hanson says, “We all have a role to play in saving our local businesses. We can change our habits just a little – such as shopping local when you can instead of buying from Amazon, for example.”
For every dollar spent at a small business, approximately 67 cents stays in the local community. Franchises employ roughly 8 million people nationwide, and even they are typically locally owned.
Hanson suggests a few tips to help ‘Save Our Town’:
- Consider paying for your gym membership even if it remains closed. Roughly 28% of all gym-goers are expected to cancel their memberships this year. Some gyms have already filed for bankruptcy!
- Buy a gift card or start a tab! You can give local restaurants more money now by buying gift cards you can use later when the restaurant is more stable. Or you can pay $100 upfront for future purchases and ask the restaurant to withdraw from your tab when you eat there.
- Holiday shop now! Some local shops may not make it to the holiday rush. Buy your gifts now and give them a boost!
- Tip well many servers, baristas, and delivery people have been out of work at some point this year. If you can afford it, leave a big tip and make someone’s day!
- Schedule and pay for future services. Some salons and massage parlors will allow you to pay for services in advance. You could pay for haircuts for the rest of the year now and have the salon withdraw from your account as you go.
- Leave a positive review online. Many people are looking for safe places to eat and shop right now. Leave a positive review of your favorite restaurants and local shops to tell your community how they’re keeping customers safe and healthy during the pandemic. Also mention when a restaurant has outdoor seating.
- Redeem your New Mover Offers. If you’re a new mover who recently received your Our Town America Welcome Package, be sure to redeem your Gift Certificates from your local businesses. The businesses included in our Welcome Packages reach out to new movers each month as they want to welcome residents, like yourself, to your new neighborhood! Return the favor by patronizing these businesses – whether in-store, curbside, or delivery.
Both Our Town America of The Triangle and the Our Town America franchise as a whole want consumers and business owners nationwide to know that we’re here to support you during this time by offering various methods to relay business offerings to locals. Both local business owners and consumers will benefit from banding together to strengthen local economies.
Click below for the WRAL News clip.
Our Town America supports small businesses across the nation 365 days per year. If you’re a local business in The Triangle area looking for a way to reach new or current customers, reach out to Sally Hanson at 919-349-7611 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your business is located elsewhere, you can reach Our Town America corporate at 1-800-497-8360 to get connected with your local representative.