WBTW Myrtle Beach (May 2016) – A new study at Boston University shows there could be a negative effect on kids whose families move often. Researchers found many children’s math and reading scores dropped each time their family relocated. They also found higher rates of emotional and behavioral problems in children who move frequently.
Dave Butz with the Our Town America franchise in the Grand Strand joined News13 Now at 9 a.m. on Thursday, May 26 to talk about putting the kits together. The kits are basically a box of items designed to help children realize they aren’t leaving everything behind.
Watch the video for more details. Some tips follow below.
Item recommendations for the kit:
- Photos of family & favorite memories
- Family fun board games
- Favorite teddy bear/stuffed animal
- Action figures/dolls & other toys
- Paintings/drawings of favorite places
- Sunglasses for the ride
- DVDs & video games
- Fruit snacks
- Items (like the sand bucket/sunscreen) that remind them of their favorite vacation spot
- And of course, the box itself which they will decorate with stickers, finger paint, & more favorite photos.
A few tips for parents:
- Sit down with your son/daughter to do some research on your new town/community. Help them find places/activities they’ll enjoy in the new place. Make sure they include photos related to those places/activities in the kit to excite them about their new home.
- Allow them to own this project completely and take creative liberty with the box they create. Encourage them to get their hands dirty to paint/draw on the box and have fun with it!
- Be on the lookout for your very own “housewarming comfort kit” when you arrive at your new home. Our Town America will be delivering a welcoming package full of gift certificates that will allow you to reward your kids for doing such a good job on the move with their Kids Moving Comfort Kit!
Please contact Our Town America if interested in more information.